Monday, October 4, 2010

Keeping In Step With Him

Hi children

I'm back at blogging after such a long time.

Ps Patrick was right when he said that the decisions we make in life will determine our destiny.  Often it has a lot to do with our impatience and unwillingness to wait on God.  I'm so familiar with this trait, it has often marked my life, and then when I missed the mark, I live in regret.

Walking with God demands keeping in step with Him.  It means that there is a right time for everything and a season for every activity under heaven according to Eccl 3:1.  Waiting for God would require perseverance - it means holding out even when you have nothing to do - this is challenging.  I went through times where I felt that God was silent and I didnt get anything from him.  It was good for me coz I needed to learn how to wait; waiting produces stability & serenity in my character and it takes away fretfulness, anger & wrath.  When I have achieved these, then there will be supernatural transformation.  He will exchange my human strength for his supernatural strength.  Those times when I felt all of life crushing me & I could not go another step, I call upon God to renew my strength.

I like to talk about Abraham coz we can really learn from him, his mistakes and his life of faith.  The fulfilment of Abraham's life centred around the birth of his promised heir.  He was told that he was going to have an heir & through this heir, God would bring forth a nation through which all nations would be blessed & his descendants will multiply like the stars in the sky and the sand on the seashore. For this to happen, Abraham had to wait.  However, he didnt want to wait anymore and through the helpful suggestion of his wife,he had a child by his maidservant.  Even before he was born, the bible said that he would be a wild donkey of a man.  

Genesis 16:11-12 says ".. you shall name him Ishmael, for the Lord has heard of your
misery. He will be a wild donkey of a man; his hand will be against everyone & everyone's hand against him, & he will live in hostility against his brothers."

It is important to see what the product of our own impatience & carnal impulses bring and doing what seemed right at that time.  The result of his decision is a wild donkey which is an expression of impatience & self will.  Abraham did not solve his problems, in fact, he multiplied them.  Ishmael became the greatest problem to the descendants whom God has made the promise.  4000 years later, we see the confrontation between the descendants of Ishmael and the descendants of Isaac & Jacob in the middle east.


13 years after Ishmael was born, Isaac, the promised seed was born.   Abraham had learnt his lesson and he was faithful to wait on God for Isaac.  Then the supernatural transformation came - Sarah although she was way above 80 yrs old, she gave birth to Isaac.  Abraham was about a 100 years old.  

Often, I feel we try to do the right thing but at the wrong time.  We are mostly concerned about the right thing but we are not concerned about the timing.  So even if we do the right thing at the wrong time, we are still doing the wrong thing.


But God is never merciless.  We must realise that when God unfolds a purpose or gives us a promise, it require a time lapse.   I've learnt so much from Abraham's eg. Life has taught me to wait & be still before Him, I have not perfected it, but I'm happy to say it gets better each time  :)

Isaiah 40:29-31  "He gives strength to the weary & increases the power of the weak.
Even youths grow tired & weary, and young men stumble & fall; but those who hope in the Word will renew their strength.  They will soar on wings like eagles, they will run and not grow weary, they will walk & not be faint." 

Love,  Mum