Wednesday, July 20, 2011

My Best Friend

Dearest Children

It's been such a long time I have not written on my blog.   Since I am so alert, I thought I would write.

Early in July during Encounter, I taught on the topic Holy Spirit.  I told the crowd that through my experiences with close friends, I realise that my only true friend is the holy spirit. He will never betray me or leave me in the lurch.  Close friends can betray you because people can change over the years and when offences are not dealt with, they destroy relationships.

When I was a young christian, I thought of him as a force because the bible describes the holy spirit like a wind, fire, water, oil as in the anointing oil that we use represents the anointing of the holy spirit.  Gradually, I learnt that he is a person with emotions just like anyone of us.  He feels sad when we deliberately disobey his promptings, do nasty things or say unkind words.  He is happy when we spend time with him or exercise the fruit of the spirit towards others.

I became very close to him as the years went by.  I could hear his voice when I am still and when I spend time with God daily.  Dont even try to understand why God can be the father, God, the son and God, the holy spirit.  They are 3 in 1 but yet, they have different personalities & perform different roles.

I especially hear him clearly when I obey his promptings & instructions constantly.  There was once your dad and I sat in a counselling session in NZ.  I sat next to a lady and I felt in my heart the feeling of grief.  I asked the holy spirit what it was and I heard a voice saying the lady had many lovers.  I didnt think much of that as we left before the session ended, leaving our friends to settle the marital problem between husband and wife.  The next day, my friend told me that the lady was quite promiscuous!  The holy spirit was grieving for that lady.

There are many wonderful things that I can talk about this special friend that we all share.  I aint going to do that coz it will take too long.  Instead I like to talk about the 4 examples of ordinary people doing extraordinary things through the empowerment of the holy spirit.

1) Jephthah in Judges 11:29 - he was a warrior, a judge & a brilliant military strategist.  God gave him the wisdom to strategize & strength to conquer his enemies.  The fact that he crossed many places & conquered 20 towns showed he had tenacity.  This comes from the holy spirit.  Before he did all these things, he was an illegitimate son & rejected by his siblings.

2)  Gideon in Judges 6:34 - his story defies all logic & human wisdom.  Gideon was the 5th judge & a military strategist.  With only 300 men & some trumpets, he was able to defeat thousands of Midianites, Israel's enemies.  This is beyond human understanding.  Before that, Gideon was a timid man with low self esteem but when the Spirit of God came upon him, he became the mighty leader that he was.

3)  Bezelial in Exodus 31:2-3 was chosen by God to design & create all the furniture for the ark & the tabernacle of Moses.  The Spirit of God filled him & that gave him the ability to produce such outstanding workmanship. Before that, I believe he was an ordinary carpenter.

4)  King David in 2 Sam 23:1-2 was chosen to be the great king of Israel and a great psalmist too.  If you read the scripture,  it says '....the word of God was on his tongue and the Spirit of God was upon him.'  That is the way that David gave us all those beautiful Psalms.  Before he became a great King, he was only a shepherd boy.

All these ordinary men could fulfill their commission in life because of the empowerment of the Holy Spirit.  And that will be exactly the same way you will do the tasks that God has asked you to do.  At this moment, Champ has to be excellent as a student.  By that I dont mean you have to be number one.  It means that you give all that you've got and that will be enough.  Of course, Tabby you are now working so you will have to be the best associate private banker that God has called you to be at this point in time.  You dont have to worry about the future for today (present time) has enough trouble of its own.

May both of you continue to walk close WITH the holy spirit and make him your confidante.  You will never regret it.

With Love
Mum