Hi Lamb & Champ!
Sharing with you my extended reading in my QT on the book of Judges.
Deborah, one of the judges mentioned in chap 4 made me recall what went through my thoughts 6 years back. In 1 of my prayers, God impressed upon me that he would use me as He had used Deborah. I would not even dare to say that I'm like Deborah coz she was a woman of great leadership & had a remarkable relationship with God. She had special abilities as a mediator, adviser & counselor. She was not only a judge but a prophetess as well. Shortly in one of our network mtgs, Ps Linda called her 12 by name to affirm them 1 by 1. When my name was called, I stood up & she said that I'll be used by God just like Deborah! I felt really humbled!
Anyway, what I wanted to share is God will always use a person to complete an important task. During Deborah's time, the Israelites sinned & God once more sold them into the hands of King Jabin, Israel's enemy. King Jabin's army commander was Sisera. After Sisera had cruelly oppressed the Israelites for 20yrs, the latter cried out to God for help. God obviously chose Deborah for the job of delivering the Israelites as she was the best person for the task. She commanded Barak, a military general to go into battle & assured him that God would give the enemy into his hands. He was unwilling to go as he was not confident. He would only go if Deborah goes with him. Barak's request showed that at heart, he trusted human strength more than God's promises. A person of real faith steps out at God's command, even if he or she must do so alone.
Deborah agreed but she had this to say, "Very well," Deborah said, "I will go with you. But because of the way you are going about this, the honour will not be yours, for the Lord will hand Sisera over to a woman."- Judges 4:9 In the end, the enemy was defeated when Jael, the wife of Heber from the Kenite tribe, descendants of Moses' father-in-law, & long time allies with Israel, killed Sisera by driving a tent peg into Sisera's head while he slept. Deborah's prediction was thus fulfilled - the honour of conquering Sisera went to a brave & resourceful woman.
There are many Christians who missed the blessings of God when they refused to do what God wanted them to do. In the process, a task or leading a cell went to someone who had about the same abilities as that 1st person chosen by God to fulfill that calling.
A friend once asked me why a certain woman got the role of doing such an important task in a particular nation. I simply said, " That's because the man whom God had chosen didnt want to take it up!"
I asked your dad if that principle applies to marriage as well. He said yes. If someone has been chosen to be your spouse to fulfill a God-given destiny together & you refuse to obey, then God will have someone replace you. That 2nd person chosen will carry out that calling tog with the other half & receive the honour & favour of God in her/his life! Some friends do marry others out of the will of God & although the marriage seems serene on the outside, I get the sense that it is devoid of excitement, purpose & especially the favour of God!
So Champ, after your 4 years in Canada, come back because you will find your spouse in Asia, a Chinese not a Caucasian. That's all I can say for now, more will be revealed to you when you are ready. Isnt it fantastic that God does reveal things to parents about their children?
Deborah's life challenges me in many ways. She reminds me of the need to be available to God, to be a wise leader (only then you will choose good helpers) & to spend my efforts on what I can do rather than on worrying about what I cant do.
Bless U both that you will trust God with your life as you step out into your future,
Mum :)