Thursday, December 24, 2009

The Greatest Gift


Today's Christmas eve and once again, we will be celebrating the birth of Jesus Christ. To many, Christmas is associated with Santa Claus, presents and family gatherings which is fine.

But the real reason why we should be celebrating Christmas is to remember the birth of Christ.

Today, my QT touched on God's name - Emmanuel which means GOd with us. Jesus is God's Christmas gift to anyone who wants to accept Him. Wrapped up in Jesus are all the benefits and blessings and so much more - He gives us a purpose for living.

I took the step of accepting Christ when I was 19 and I have not looked back. It was not easy for me to be a christian initially because my mum who was a staunch Buddhist refused to accept my decision. I stuck with it even though she was dead against it. She threw my bible down the chute & I got scolded for mixing with Christians. I was not allowed to go to church until Peter came along. He secretly took me to church and one day he decided to tell my mum about it. He wanted to come clean with her. My hea
rt stopped beating when he told her. Because my mum valued honesty n courage, she took it very well and from then on, everything went smoothly. Whew!

However, we dont hv to wait for Christmas to celebrate Jesus' birth. We can do it every day. We remember Jesus came to die o
n the cross for us so that He can pay our 'debt' , compensate for the damages of our sins, redeem us from slavery and take on the punishment on himself when we should deserve it. That's grace - undeserved mercy. That's why a man who realises how much God loves him inspite of his sins, wrote this song - Amazing Grace

Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me,

I once was lost, but now am found,
Was blind but now I see.

Wonderful Counsellor n Mighty God